I've got a good story today

Hi everybody.

How are you?

In the downtown area where I frequently take my walks, there is a historic log cabin, and behind that log cabin is a giant beautiful old ginkgo tree. In the fall, its leaves turn golden, and then one day, they all at once begin to fall.

One of the most stunning things I have ever seen in this town is that tree with its Christmas lights turned on, before the golden leaves fall off. I have only seen it happen once, maybe 3 years ago, when the leaves were late to drop. Usually, by the time the Town turns on the Christmas lights, the leaves are all on the ground, and while the lights are still pretty, it's just a bunch of empty branches.

A few of days ago, I walked past the tree and noticed that the leaves were almost at peak gold. I happen to know this guy Jon, who happens to be the head of Parks and Rec, from my Girl Scout leader days, so I emailed him and said, "One of the most stunning things I have ever seen in this town is that tree with its Christmas lights turned on before the golden leaves fall off." And I said I didn't know if it was even a possibility, but it would be so great if the Town could go ahead and turn on those lights now while the tree is at peak because it's really a spectacular thing to see. 

Because you never know. It couldn't hurt to ask, right?

And then I immediately got an auto-reply from Jon that said, " Hello...I am out of the office until..."
Oh well.
 I figured that was that.

Fast forward to this morning, when I was cranky and almost skipped my walk, but made myself head out the door at about 5:45 for a short one through town before starting my day.

I turned the corner by the Thai place that used to be the beer place, looked down the street toward the log cabin, and almost burst into tears because this is what I saw:

I mean. 

Look at that!

Photos don't begin to do it justice, so you'll just have to trust me when I tell you what an awesome sight this is in real life.








I headed that way so I could take some pictures, and who was standing under the tree, furiously texting away, but Jon, my Parks and Rec friend, who said, "I was just trying to text you!"

It really was hard not to cry. 

So much joy created with just the flick of a switch.

I hope other people appreciate it as much as I do.

Fun fact: the tree stays wrapped all year round with lights that have elastic cording that can "grow" with the tree. They last three or four years, as long as the squirrels don't do too much damage. Jon said that since the squirrels nest at the top of the tree, they luckily only sometimes cause the lights at the very top to go out, never a big chunk right in middle.

Anyway. Small moments. I didn't even finish my walk. I just stood under that tree for about 20 minutes, until it was light, before going to get some coffee and heading home. 

Good times.

Here is the sunset from work last night. I'm headed back there this afternoon, and I have lots to do when I get there. Ironically, after all that talk about lighting up the ginkgo tree, on Sunday I'm leading a program about the negative impacts of light pollution. (Luckily, those Christmas lights are warm-tinted and temporary). It will be my first time leading my own program, and I have worked really hard on it. I'll be spending the next couple of days making myself insane by over-thinking. Then, I will do the program and it will be fine and I will sleep again.

OK you guys. Off to start my morning. I hope something good happens to you today. There is a lot that is terrible, but there is a lot that is good, too.

Onward.




 

Comments

  1. The photos do plenty of justice to the gingko tree. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d love to know more about the work you are doing related to light pollution - Holly R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story about the ginkgo tree almost made me cry. I’m so proud of all you do. Thanks for sharing! ❤️Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts