I wasn't expecting the eagle.

Hi everybody.

How are you?

I'm OK. Kind of sad. Daph just left to go back to school, which is always hard. Looking forward to the next visit. It won't be long.

Yesterday, I went to meet my classmates for our final exam review, which went well. But the thing I was NOT expecting was that ALSO happening at my "school" yesterday was the release of a bald eagle back into the wild after being treated for lead poisoning by the amazing staff at the Blueridge Wildlife center. So, after we finished working on our test, we made it outside just in time to watch. Not the greatest video, but you get the idea:


You guys. I was in tears. And I wasn't the only one. You can hear someone next to me gasping! It was an amazing thing to witness. Very thankful for all the rescuers and rehabbers. The eagle flew up into the trees overlooking the park and sat for a while, probably enjoying his freedom and getting his bearings. I know his family will be happy to see him. 

I took a very short walk around town this morning before we had to start getting the kid packed up. The cherry trees are at peak bloom now, and they are beautiful. 


I found these feathers at General Marshall's house. I've asked for help with ID, but my guess, and it's a TOTAL guess, is red shouldered hawk since that's who I see there the most. I'll let you know if I find out otherwise. Cool feathers, huh? Did you know it is illegal to take found feathers? Don't do it. Just leave them.
I also found this book at the free library at General Marshall's house. It IS legal to take free library books, so I brought it home to look through, but I'll probably take it back if there's not much in there that I'd be likely to make. The photos are great. I love cookbooks.
This rock is still where I left it, hopefully inspiring all the passers-by.

Here is the little spoon Daph carved out of the beech wood from the broken tree at the park.
And I got a frog from the same beech wood! I don't think he's quite finished yet, but I love him so much. What a special gift. 

I just finished having some cinnamon toast. It's one of the best things to eat if you're sad. 

Now I have some cleaning to do. There's a lot to catch up on around here.  I'm heading into a very busy month, and I don't feel ready, but I'll get there. It's good to have some distractions. Because good grief. 😟 Making sure you all know about the marches happening nationwide next Saturday, April 5. Please check 50501 and Indivisible to find out how to participate. And be careful out there. Stay peaceful. But stay engaged. We have to do what we wish the Germans had done in the 1930s. 
Silence is not an option.

Onward. 





 

Comments

Popular Posts