Fun with corn and redbud leaves

Hi everybody.

How are you?

I took a very short walk today to water the island, and I made a collection of red bud leaves on the way. It's July, but look at those colors! I love red bud trees. Two of the leaves are from a tree near the art gallery, one is from a tree at the coffee shop, and three are from one in my back yard. 

There was a nice painting in the gallery, and some uplifting notes.
Suspicious downtown cat.
I may have borrowed a sticky note from the gallery.
Spider friend at the island.




 

I didn't have to work last night, so I cooked some corn lasagna from a recipe I found in Food and Wine.

It calls for jalapenos, but I don't like them, and I've been looking for a way to use my garden poblano peppers, so I subbed them in and used some of our basil, too. It is so satisfying to go outside and pick ingredients.

This was very tasty, and even though it took a while to make, it wasn't difficult, and it only used one pan which is always a bonus. Plus, it's corn season. Nothing better than fresh summer corn. The recipe called for 3 ears of corn, but I used 5, and I'm glad because there is a lot of liquid and I think it needed the extra corn. And I think the poblanos were a great substitution. I wish I had used more of them. If I make it again, I might add some crushed red pepper for a little heat. The surprise star ingredient, in my opinion, was the lemon zest. Subtle but effective. 

I will definitely make this again.

OK you guys. Action item: If you have a Republican MoC, please visit their office while they are on recess and find out why they shut down Congress to avoid voting to release the Epstein files. Encourage them to have a town hall. Remind them that they work for you and need to answer your questions. They need to be held accountable for the terrible things they are doing. Stay peaceful, but make some good trouble for them over the next few weeks. 

Everyone can send postcards to Mike Johnson's office, too. What a pathetic little man.

Then eat some delicious summer corn and listen to some good music.

Onward.

Comments

Popular Posts